For those of us who are TV lovers, the summer used to kinda suck. Every show was in hiatus and that meant reruns…or nothing. Thanks to USA and TNT, new episodes of some great shows are now here to make your summertime bearable.
East Coast Elle here (can you believe these Cali girls got an east coaster to help them out with television shows – I mean they are from the home state of Hollywood?!) and I’m here to teach YOU how to watch TV in the summer!
TNT, Sunday 10pm EST
For those of you who have missed out on Falling Skies…I just don’t know how to express how sorry I feel for you. Even if you aren’t a sci-fi junky like myself, you would love this show. I mean, Steven freaking Spielberg is the producer. Imagine ET meets Indiana Jones – coming into your homes every Sunday night at 10:00pm on TNT.
Falling Skies picks up six months after an alien invasion has destroyed almost all of humanity, and unlike most alien apocalyptic stories, though, this isn’t told from the perspective of the president or someone in charge who knows what’s going on. Instead, it’s told from the perspective of every day people who have somehow managed to survive. That means, the characters have no idea why the aliens are here or how to defeat them. They don’t have access to weapons and none are really experienced or trained in strategic military thinking. And since we are at a point six months after the invasion, it isn’t an Independence Day plot that focuses on lots of big battle scenes.
I really don’t know where to begin to tell you how much I love this show. First, it’s not just some sci-fi show. There are historical elements and references to the founding of our nation and the formation of our country that the political nerd in me just loves. I mean, the fact that the story starts in one of our country’s most historic and storied cities – Boston – should immediately let you know that much of the undertones of this show allude to the American Revolution and our forefathers fight for freedom and the struggle to set up our republic. But it’s not really a show about aliens – it’s a show about people.
Six Reasons to Watch This Show…
- It will make you remember why you fell in love with Noah Wyle when he was on ER…and then make you fall in love with him all over again. #DrJohnCarterWeLoveYou
- Steven Spielberg, the end all be all schiznit, is the producer. If you can honestly tell me there isn’t a single movie directed or produced by Steven Spielberg that you like, then fine. Don’t watch because clearly you are a communist. Honestly, if you can tell me there are less than FIVE movies this man has directed or produced that you like, I would still call you a commie. We are talking about the man behind ET, Schindler’s List, Saving Private Ryan, Indiana Jones, Star Wars (well one of them),Jaws, The Goonies, and Jurassic Park. And another TV show he produced – Band of Brothers. Maybe you’ve heard of it?!
- The end of almost every episode will end with you sitting on the edge of your seat with your mouth wide open, unable to move because you cannot BELIEVE what just happened.
- John Locke makes an appearance on a few episodes in Seasons 2 and 3. Well, really it’s Terry O’Quinn, the actor who played John Locke. But for those of us who still miss Lost, Locke is reason enough to tune in.
- Drew Roy, who plays Hal Mason, will have you drooling in your seat. And for you boys out there, Sarah Carter who plays Maggie is hot enough to make me consider playing for the other team.
- You know you are secretly a sci-fi nerd. Embrace it my friends and tune in.
Franklin & Bash
TNT, Wednesday 9:00pm
Zach Morris himself is one of the two leads in this humorous crime drama. He still looks good and he’s upgraded that skinny body for one that looks HELLA fine without a shirt on. The show follows Zach, aka Franklin, and his law partner Bash, as they take on the legal system’s stodginess while defending their clients. Cute and fun.
USA, Wednesday 10:00pm
After a disagreement with the new Hawks’ coach, Dr. Danny is forced to leave the team. Thankfully, Uncle Jesse…uh, I mean John Stamos…steps in to offer her a new job at his sports management company. Sadly, we appear to say goodbye to Matt, Danny’s ex/Buffy the Vampire Slayer’s boyfriend Riley, but thankfully Nico returns.
Sci-Fi Channel, Friday 8:00pm
Like I said, I’m a sci-fi junky. But this show is wicked awesome. It follows Kiera, a cop from a future where corporations control all. After going bankrupt, corporations stepped in to bail out the federal government of Canada. But the bailout came with a price tag: personal freedoms. Kiera is accidentally brought back to 2012 by a group of terrorists from the future who are hell bent on taking down the corporations. Like Falling Skies, not everything is what it seems and you will often find yourself sympathizing with the other side. Don’t let the fact that it’s Canadian fool you. I mean, Canada gave us Ryan Reynolds, so every once in a while they get it right…eh?
Netflix, Any Dang Time You Want to Watch It
It’s brand new episodes of Arrested Development, one of the most awesome shows ever on television. ‘Nuff said.
Tune in next month when I talk about my other favorite summer show: Suits. Premieres July 16th at 10:00pm on USA.